Friday, March 19, 2010

For our Labrador buddy, Jack Daddy, this one's for YOU!

When John Grant found his black Labrador having trouble coughing something up last year, he became alarmed and immediately took the ailing pooch to the vet. There, doctors took X-rays of the dog, named Bracken, and found that a strange, dark object was lodged next to his heart.

"I was afraid, because [the vets] thought it was a cancerous growth," Grant, 70, tells

But after moving Bracken to a larger facility at the University of Glasgow Veterinary School for surgery, Grant was surprised to discover that the object wasn't cancer after all — it was a 5-in. soccer ball.

"We very commonly see dogs eating strange things like balls, clothing or pantyhose," says surgeon Damian Chase. "But what was really strange was how the ball ended up next to his heart."

What the veterinarians discovered was that young Bracken was born with a birth defect — a hole in his diaphragm. And after eating the small ball, the stomach had unnaturally moved next to the heart.

"Most definitely, if he didn't have this surgery, he would have died," Chase says. "It's good that he came in, though, because this way we found out about his disorder. He's very lucky."

And after another surgery this year to replace the diaphragm patch that Bracken outgrew, the pooch is back in top shape, and as hungry as ever.

"He's a boisterous one, that's for sure," says Grant. "And he eats everything. Just today he was trying to eat a golf ball!"
National Canine Cancer Foundation


1000 Goldens said...

Incredible!! Let's hope Jack doesn't eat one of those :)

Frankie Furter said...


Twinkietinydog said...

A lot of humans too take sports close to heart too. Happy endings make me happy :)

Samantha said...

Amazing story! So glad they found the problem - good ending and I do hope he continues to have a great appetite - for food, that is...
Big Hugs xo

Mrs. JP said...

Oh, I'm so glad that this story had a happy ending for Bracken and Grant. It's amazing what dogs will eat! Yikes.

JackDaddy said...

Thank you for thinking of me - Jack is presently hacking up some fuzz from a pillow that he decided had too much fuzz in it!

So if anyone needs some pre-chewed fuzz for YOUR pillows, please let me know.
I've got like 40 pounds of it.

Sam said...

Jack is sure lucky!


Khyra The Siberian Husky And Sometimes Her Mom said...

That is as 'good' as the Golden Retriever in England that had about a dozen or more items in them!

Some khanines are just khrazy khonsumers!

Khyra & Khousin Merdie

Tweedles -- that's me said...

This is BAZAR!!!!!!
I am happy that it did have a
happy ending

Teddy Bear said...

Such a great story.:)

Teddy Bear

Mango said...

It is amazing what can find its way inside a doggie. Good thing that he had the surgery and is feeling like his old self.


Ms. ~K said...

A vet told me once that Labs will eat anything!!! I believe it!

the booker man said...

oh my. i'm glad that bracken is okay!!
and, yes, miss kit, we labs will eat anything... i got in BIG trouble a few months back when my mama brought her hibiscus plant inside for the winter. when she wasn't looking, i took a big bite out of it cuz it looked yummy. i didn't know that it was poisonous to me!! my mama had to do the yucky hydrogen peroxide thingie so that i would barf it all up. sooo ickies. now the hibiscus is up on a stand where i can't reach it.
the booker man

Ginger Jasper said...

that is one lucky woofie.. Glad he was sorted out.. Hugs GJ xx

Chester said...

Glad to hear that Jack is OKeeDOKee after eating that ball. God worked in a very creative way to let Jack's family know he had another life threatenin' problem.

If God didn't want us Labs eatin' everything in sight, He shouldn'ta made it all taste so good! Now, I'll take a large cup of that fuzz Jack prechewed to go, please!

Woofs and fuzzy slobbers,
Chester ;0=)

Alex93andme said...

That is amazing. I am so glad that the vet was able to operate and save the dog. Jack, don't you go eating something like that!!! It's scary what they all will eat quickly. Holly loves to chase bees and ends up at the vet all of the time with a swollen mouth! Love, Debbie and Holly

KB said...

Labs, labs, labs... They're smart in so many ways but they'll eat anything. This lab was very lucky to have such a vigilant and caring owner!

We've actually considered muzzling our Labs at times to keep them from eating things off the forest floor that are poisonous. They're crazy and never learn!

Sagira said...

Wow, never heard of that before, but glad he is okay and back to new. :)

Ruby and Penny said...

What a lucky pup!
Love Ruby & Penny

Linda said...

Lucky Dog Bracken, no more eating footballs mate. Prince.

Ruby's Raiser said...

How odd! But so lucky to have a happy ending. Ah, Labs!

MAX said...

I never fail to be amazed and surprised at these animals of ours!

Mack D & The Gang said...

Ouch! Glad they got him all fixed up! Maybe I'll think next time before I decide to chew on the man that I own boxers.



Life With Dogs said...

I guess he didn't quite learn his lesson! :)

Sierra Rose said...

Oh my my my!! Wild story, but so glad he is OK!!!
Have a nice weekend friends.

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

Anonymous said...

Love this blog!

Check out my blog about my adventures with my black lab named Sage.

Oskar said...

Great story!