Saturday, July 25, 2009

Jessie, the story of a rescue dog, her family & unconditonal love

What happens when you rescue? I mean other than the fact that you've saved an animal's life. I think you've saved your life, too. You enhance your days and your nights and the quality of your existence. You bring home a never-ending supply of unconditional love. A love that will be there for you when you feel good and when you feel bad. When your wallet is full and when it is empty.

Several years ago my friend, Cindy and her hubby Jim, in a matter of only weeks lost all three of their geriatric dogs (all 13+ years). Cindy and Jim weren't sure when they were going to add another life to their home but as time went on, Cindy decided to make a visit to our local shelter. It was there that she was greeted by Jessie, the shelter greeter. An older dog. A chubby dog. A mixed breed dog. A dog that everyone walked by or passed over for months but that didn't stop her tail from wagging non-stop nor dim her welcoming smile; that is why Jesse became the shelter dog. The staff fell in love with her and hoped that with the extra exposure Jesse would find her fur-ever home. They wanted someone to look into her eyes and see what they saw - a valuable gem.

But, she was older and large and not a frisky pup. Three strikes that are difficult to overcome when you are a dog or cat living in a shelter full of puppies and kittens. But on that day - on the day Cindy walked through the shelter door - Jessie met her angel. She met her new momma who would open up a world totally unknown to her thus far. Jessie would go camping and boating and on picnics. She would wear a life jacket when she was on the water or swimming. She would be a member of her new family. She would be treasured and important.

Cindy will often say to me that she just doesn't understand why someone didn't look for Jessie when she was lost because she is the perfect dog! It's been a while now since Jessie walked through the door of her new fur-ever home. Her muzzle is more gray and she needs supplements to help her with hip pain, but boy, is she loved. Her value to Cindy and Jim is immeasurable. No amount of money could tease them to give her up. They need her just as much as she needs them.

A day will come when Jessie will have to leave this earth and I know the pain all too well that my friends will endure. It will be relentless and deep and will rip their heart open to bleed unconsoled sorrow.

But, after a while, they will dry their eyes and they will smile when they think of Jessie. They will remember all the fun camping, hiking, walking and boating. And, one thing you can bet money on - they will go back to our shelter and they will look for another dog. They will seek out a dog that has been overlooked numerous times but who is filled with unconditional love and a new family will be formed and new bonds will take place and a new story will be written.

I have rescue animals (some are purebred). I don't know what words to use to convince the unbeliever that by going to the shelter for your next pet you will NOT be seeing left-overs and rejects. Shelters all over the world are filled with hearts ready to give you all they have if you will only give them a little of what you have - a roof, a bowl, a rug to rest their weary head.

29 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

My mom and I often get to ask THAT khwestion: why didn't someone look fur 'me'?

But then we remember, things happen fur a reason...

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Just Me and My Shadow said...

Another lovely story that brought tears to my eyes. So glad Jessie found Cindy and Jim.

Chrissie and Ben

PS Ben says thanks Scout and Freyja for visiting his blog :))

Tracey said...

This brought tears to my eyes! Jessie is beautiful. Rescues are THE BEST!!!
Thanks for sharing this lovely story :)
Tracey

Ziggy Stardust said...

Thank you for telling us that beautiful story. The best day of my life was the day my Mom and Dad took me from a shelter to my forever home.

licks and sniffs, Sasha

Ruby and Penny said...

Thanks for sharing Jessie's story with us. We love happy endings.
Love Ruby & Penny

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

Thank you for sharing Jessie's story - it is lovely.

XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

Teddy Bear said...

Such a beautiful story. We rescued Sierra from a rescue shelter last year. We love her so much.

Love,
Teddy Bear

Farley said...

My Mom is crying. She said thanks for this beautiful post. So glad Jessie found the most perfect family!

JacksDad said...

Gotta love a happy ending! :)

Stella said...

Thank you fur this beautiful post about shelter dogs. I was in the slammer for three months and one day my Mom came and asked if I had a good disposition. YES! And she took me home and we love each other all the time. We hope lots of peoples will go to the shelter and look for a pup. We are just good dogs who wound up there and need to be homed.

Kisses,

Stella

The Oceanside Animals said...

We think we know why no one looked for Dennis. Someday, I will tell that story ...

How Sam Sees It said...

Cindy and Jim are truly wonderful people! Jessie is truly a lucky dog!

Sam

Bijou said...

Thanks for sharing Jessie's story. Mom didn't get me and Banjo at a shelter but all of the pets she had before us were rescues and each and everyone of them was very special to her.

Wags & wiggles,
Bijou

Shelley said...

This brought tears to my eyes - so glad that Jessie found a loving home! When I go to the shelter - I am tempted to leave w/ half a dozen animals! The kitty I got from the shelter is the best kitty I have ever had in my life. Thanks for sharing this story!

Ruby's Mum said...

What a lovely story!

Oskar said...

This was a very nice post. It made my mom person tear up.

Astrid Keel said...

rescues are the best! what a wonderful story - the best day of my life was when momster and daddy got me out of the doggy jail. :)

Arran, Arthur and Mum said...

What a lovely story, thanks for sharing it!

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

What a beautiful story!!! Isn't it wonderful that Jessie found such a loving family to love her for the rest of her years.

Woos, the OP Pack

LV said...

I do not have a dog, but have had many in the past. They are wonderful pets, but they also cause a lot of grief. After the last one, no more for me. I never will understand why anyone can be so cruel to animals or humans for that matter. I enjoyed your visit today, and nothing is more important than than grandson.

juliaD said...

Thanks...you always make me teary...One day when I am well, I will rescue a dog...xx

Dog By Nature said...

My sentiments exactly! There are so many wonderful dogs waiting to be rescued who give so much to our lives and the older ones may not have that allure of a puppy but in some ways they bring so much more.

Golden Samantha said...

That is such a true story. I'm a rescue, tho I was young. But... I was riddled with kidney disease. Still, ma and pa made me part of the family and a year after, I was free of it all and now... well you know... we all be loving life! How wonderful for Jessie that Cindy and Jim SAW!!! Bless them!
Hugs and Love xo
Sammie
Pee Ess: Will email furry soon to you generous people!
S.

Najia said...

Oh Scout & Freyja!

You must give your mama extra kisses and wags to thank her for writing such a great post. Jessie's story is magical.

I am with you one million percent about rescuing. ONE. MILLION. PERCENT.

This post touched my heart. I love it. Thank you for writing it so beautifully.

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

What a great post! You are right, when you rescue a dog, you are not getting leftovers or rejects. Some humans are rejects because they do not know how to love a dog or a cat/animal. Some humans are just cruel and heartless.
June is a rescued and we often ask how someone could abused her and just left her on the side of the road. Hubby often said he would really like to "meet" her previous owner.

Hero said...

Thanks for sharing that beautiful story. I'm an ex-pound pup too and before that I was a stray that was found stuffed inside a dumpster. It makes my hoomans so angry to think that someone could be so cruel to me when I was a little pup. We still visit my old shelter from time to time to donate food. There are far too many homeless dogs on my island and unfortunately spaying and neutering dogs isn't all that popular with the locals here. Eventually my hoomans want to get another dog and you can bet it's going to be a rescue.

bea's blog said...

Hei from Europe!
I am a rescued dog, too!!! This is very popular in Europe as well - fortunately...
Thanx for writing this beautiful story and sharing your thoughts with us here in this blog!
I will follow frequently now...will you follow mine?!!!
www.gizdog.blogspot.com! Welcome!!
European Greetings
Gizmo and mum

Pet said...

what a story, I'm not the first with tears,thanks for sharing

Pet said...

great story,thanks for sharing, U brought all my family in tears-after I read it to them