Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Homemade Kibbles 'n Bits Puppy Chow

Puppy Chow with no additions
This makes a very large batch but it never lasts for more that a couple of days when I have a houseful of grandchildren! With the summer in full bloom and a holiday just around the corner, I thought I'd share with you my variation on an old stand-by! I added the nuts and raisins because the mother's of my grandchildren are always asking me if I am serving them food high in nutrition when we have a sleep-over. Heck, nuts and raisins, those are good, right? And, cereal, that's good, too, right?

Makes about 6-8 cups

Ingredients

  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1 stick butter
  • 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 cups peanuts
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 6 oz. milk chocolate chips
  • 12 oz. box of Crispex (or similar cereal)
  • 3 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 paper bag

1) Melt together the peanut butter, butter, semi-sweet chips, and the milk chocolate chips in a double-boiler until it is a creamy delightful mixture; stirring occasionally.

2) Pour the entire box of cereal into a large paper bag (brown grocery type) along with the nuts and raisins. Add the chocolate mixture to the mix.

3) SHAKE IT! (Roll the top of the bag over a couple of times so nothing falls out) Shake the bag until the cereal has an even coat of chocolate. By now you might be drooling (a little like your pooch) from the yummy odor of the chocolate and peanut butter…but "sit and stay".

4) After a few good shakes of the bag, add the powdered sugar the same way, directly into the bag, and shake it until the chocolate-coated goodies have a layer of powdered sugar.

When I make my puppy chow I add enough sugar so that I can't see the chocolate coating any longer. But beware, too much sugar will result in wasted sugar at the bottom of the bag because it is the chocolate coating that is making the sugar stick to the cereal, nuts and raisins.

5) Pour the puppy chow out of the bag and onto parchment paper to cool.

This puppy chow recipe is easy, fun, delicious, and its calling your name!

12 comments:

JacksDad said...

It looks like Frosted Mini-wheats! :)

Mason Dixie said...

Mom says she loves puppy chow!!! makes it during the holidays only though. =)

Teddy Bear said...

That looks delicious! Can I have some?

Love,
Teddy Bear

JacksDad said...

I thought it was for PUPPIES, until I read the ingredients! :)

Bart said...

I also thought Puppy Chow was for beings like me, but they aren't :( I will say Mariana to do some one day and you can be sure I will do anything to have some :) they look so good and tasty *_*

a lot of licks ^^
Bart

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Take out the nuts and the chocolate and we would love some too:) Mom loves to make puppy chow and the grandkids love to eat it too.

Woos, the OP Pack

Shelley said...

I have never had this but all the ingredients sound yummy! And I love the name - puppy chow!!

Lorenza said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Maxmom said...

Hey there Mimi
This sounds SCRUMPTIOUS!
We will certainly try making it (and reserving it for the humans)
Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Tonsaluv Max &Co in SA

The 'splorin' Wolfies said...

lol--i thought it was going to be homemade dog kibble--haha!

The Oceanside Animals said...

Oh, yeah, I've had other versions of this stuff -- it's really really really good!

Ruby and Penny said...

We've never heard of Puppy Chow. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Mom is going to make some for herself & the human sister.
Love Ruby & Penny