Makes about 6-8 cups
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 stick butter
- 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups peanuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 6 oz. milk chocolate chips
- 12 oz. box of Crispex (or similar cereal)
- 3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 paper bag
1) Melt together the peanut butter, butter, semi-sweet chips, and the milk chocolate chips in a double-boiler until it is a creamy delightful mixture; stirring occasionally.
2) Pour the entire box of cereal into a large paper bag (brown grocery type) along with the nuts and raisins. Add the chocolate mixture to the mix.
3) SHAKE IT! (Roll the top of the bag over a couple of times so nothing falls out) Shake the bag until the cereal has an even coat of chocolate. By now you might be drooling (a little like your pooch) from the yummy odor of the chocolate and peanut butter…but "sit and stay".
4) After a few good shakes of the bag, add the powdered sugar the same way, directly into the bag, and shake it until the chocolate-coated goodies have a layer of powdered sugar.
When I make my puppy chow I add enough sugar so that I can't see the chocolate coating any longer. But beware, too much sugar will result in wasted sugar at the bottom of the bag because it is the chocolate coating that is making the sugar stick to the cereal, nuts and raisins.
5) Pour the puppy chow out of the bag and onto parchment paper to cool.
This puppy chow recipe is easy, fun, delicious, and its calling your name!