Tuesday, November 23, 2010

♥A new star in the midnight sky - my dear friend, Jessie♥

Jessie 'n her dad (notice her life jacket, how sweet)
She was 'just a shelter dog'. Given up by her family because she wasn't fun anymore and the kids didn't take care of her, Jessie found herself living at my town shelter. A well mannered dog, she was given the job of people greeter. She took her job to heart and never missed the chance to 'meet and greet' those that came to the shelter looking for a family pet. Jessie didn't mind that no one took her home - she had a job to do and a warm place to stay and a good meal at the end of the day. She never complained.

Then, one day a lady came to the shelter because her dog of 15 years had passed away. She didn't know if she'd adopt that day but she came to look. When she walked through the door Jessie, with her warm smile and sweet nature, greeted the nice lady and decided to make her furry best imPURRession - something inside of Jessie told her that this lady was different. This lady would see Jessie for who she was - a really great dog with lots to give to a new family.

The nice lady took notice of Jessie, and after talking with her husband, came back to the shelter and took Jessie home with her. Jessie had a family. Over the years she went camping and hiking and swimming and walking - nearly every day, rain or shine or snow, a walk. Jessie wasn't just a dog any longer, she was a true member of her family - a treasured part that made the family whole.

The years took their toll on Jessie - heart failure, allergies, pneumonia, arthritis - and her family stood by her giving her the best of the best that canine medical care had to offer. But one day Jessie knew, and her family knew, that it was time for her to complete her Circle of Life. With her head on the lap of her adoptive mother Jessie closed her eyes for the last time listening to the words she loved most in her life, "You are such a good dog".

My friend Jessie completed her Circle of Life yesterday, November 22nd. Her mother is one of my dearest friends - someone who feels about all living creatures as I do - that all life is valuable and precious. I will miss Jessie and remember her always.

National Canine Cancer Foundation

23 comments:

Sheila and Bob said...

What an incredible beautiful post. We are so glad that Jessie had years of love.
Please extend our heartfelt sympathy to her family.
God Bless

Sheila & Bob
Mom & Dad to
Hamish & Rescue Sophie

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

I am so very much sad to hear that you have lost your furend Jessie. What a full rich life she had with her furever family. Please tell them how sorry I am.

♥I am Holly♥ said...

Such a beautiful tribute to a very beautiful dog. Jessie will really be missed by lots of people...that I can tell. I send my prayers to the family and you for losing a fine furiend. Lots of love, Holly and mom

Soggibottom said...

This is why I can't always leave a comment.....
on here .................
What a girl though.... she could have been my dog.
only one Jessie... every dog is a one of a kind. :-) x x x

Emma Rose said...

Beautiful post. Run free sweet Jessie.

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

What a wonderful tribute to that special girl and her family. God bless them for giving her such a loving home. Run free, sweet Jessie.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Unknown said...

Oh, Jessie, all dogs should have a job and a family; you blessed both your shelter and your family and they blessed you. Thanks for your story - I will look for your star. I will pet my dogs this evening in memory of you. I know you will be waiting for your mom and dad at the Bridge, ready to tell your story to all waiting as well.

booahboo said...

Such a beautiful post about Jessie. Everyone... or every dog deserves a second chance. Thanks for sharing Jessie's wonderful life with us. A bright star she will be shining down upon everyone who knew and love her.

TimberLove said...

godspeed Jessie, may your spirit find its way to the halls of Valhalla, with respect,

RA & Isis

Two French Bulldogs said...

What a nice tribute to Jessie
Benny & Lily

The Luke said...

I wish I could say more than 'I love you' right now... but my emotions have gotten the best and most of me.

wif love from the Luke

Tweedles -- that's me said...

These words about Jessie are so beautiful. Jessie touched the world with her love, and those who knew her, are changed forever.
My heart is sad for you and for her family.. I am sad for the hole in the hearts of those who loved her.
Run free sweet Jessie, you will be remembered forever and ever..
love
tweedles

Maxmom said...

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful dog and a beautiful owner. Such 'circles of life' give us all hope for a better world...their work is done and now they are the inspiration for the rest of us.
I am so sorry for your loss, Mimi.
Sending lotsaluv
MAXMOM IN SA

Sierra Rose said...

Very sweet post. Rest in peace sweet Jessie.

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

♥Mona + Prissy + Angel Weenie♥ said...

I can't express in words how sad Jessie's passing wss to hear but what a life she had. She will missed by all of us.

God Bless...Sarah

Molly the Airedale said...

Tears are sliding down mom's cheeks.
RIP, Jessie.

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Unknown said...

What a beautiful tribute to Jessie! It's so touching and tears just kept rolling down my cheeks while I was reading it!

RIP Jessie

Angus said...

'You are such a good dog '. The lifetime of shared experiences encapsulated in those simple words.

Jake of Florida said...

I had to wait a moment for the tears to stop before I could type a response to your beautiful post. The Circle of Life, the inevitable Circle of Life, that completes its path way too soon for our furry family members.

We are happy Jessie and her mom had such a good life together and thank you for sharing the touching story.

Joan (and my Barkalot Boyz)

Angel Ginger Jasper said...

That is so beautiful. Sad yess but also showing us that there is good in the world and that Jessie got to know lots of love and had a great life with your friend. That is magic.. Hugs GJ xx

Anonymous said...

What a Most Beautiful tribute to a luvly and sweet girl. I'm so happy that Jessie got a second chance in life with your amazing furend. I wish all doggies and kittehs could be that lucky. Please tell your furend that I hope someday soon her tears will turn to smiles whenever she thinks of Jessie.

Run free, Jessie.

Mayzie

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Thank you for sharing Jessie's story with us. We are so happy she had many happy times and love with your dear friend!

Lacy said...

w00fs, soo sorry to hear about your friend Jessie...but she found her furever home in the end and was happy..RIP Jessie, run with the wind..

b safe,
rocky