Monday, May 17, 2010

Chinese Astronauts Ate Dog Meat In Space

Mimi's note: quite frankly, and I mean this with all sincerity, I wish they would have choked on what they ate and then got dysentery and then got botulism and then monumental cramps; their teeth could fall out, too. I have NO understanding of what these people do to companion animals and NO understanding why, in this day and age, they are still killing, skinning and cooking dogs to eat. Sadly, if I was in China and saw what they were doing - I am sure that I would be imprisoned for the remainder of my life as a result of my conduct.


China's first man in space, Yang Liwei, 44, revealed that while in orbit, he and the crew of the 2003 Shenzhou Five mission consumed dog meat from Huajiang county in Guangdong, China.

Dog meat was served to astronauts as late as 2009, according to a menu from a mission.

A passage from Yang's book, The Nine Levels between Heaven and Earth, quoted in the Telegraph, reads: "Many of my friends are curious about what we eat [in space] and think that the astronauts must have some expensive delicacies, like shark's fin or abalone [...] Actually we ate quite normal food, there is no need to keep it a secret."

The Telegraph reproduced a sample of the Chinese astronauts' menu from a 2009 mission:

Day One: Lotus root porridge, crispy tofu with spring onions, braised yellow croaker fish, pork ribs with seaweed, spinach with minced garlic. Day Two: Spicy pig skin, braised duck neck, hairy crab with ginger, chicken liver with chilli, pine nuts with sweetcorn, three-flavour soup. Day Three: Poached egg in fermented rice soup, Harbin sausage, Huajiang dog, baby cuttlefish casserole, eel with green pepper, spicy beans with dried tofu. Apples, pears and oranges served with every meal, as well as rice, noodles, sweet potatoes.

NASA's first astronauts in space endured a far more limited menu. In the 1960s, the crew of Mercury, NASA's first human space flight program, were fed "bite-sized cubes, freezedried powders, and semiliquids stuffed in aluminum tubes. "

Skylab, the United States' first space station, helped give NASA astronauts' meals a major boost and meals have since improved considerably.

According to the LA Times, "Favorite dishes on shuttle and space station missions include freeze-dried shrimp cocktail, irradiated beef fajitas and shelf-stable cherry-blueberry cobbler."

Yang Liwei's revelation has generated criticism and sparked controversy over the morality of using dogs as food. Jill Robinson, the founder of Animals Asia, criticized Yang, whom she said was a role model for children. She told the Telegraph, "[Dogs] found survivors after the Sichuan earthquake and protected people from potential terrorists during the Olympic games. Surely they deserve more."

Another spokesperson for Animals Asia, Irene Feng, warned of the "health risks associated with the farming, slaughter and consumption of dogs."

China is moving ahead with an ambitious space program that hopes to see a Chinese space base, the Tiangong 1, launch by 2011.

Read More: China Astronaut Dog, China Astronaut Dog Meat, Chinese Astronaut Dog, Chinese Astronauts Dog, Yang Liwei, Technology News
National Canine Cancer Foundation

16 comments:

My Sons Mum said...

Just threw up a little in my mouth.

Lola and also Franklin, too said...

Shar Pei was once a delicacy in China until they killed us all. If not for one Hong Kong man named Matgo Law, we'd be gone. There are lots of fascinating things to see and learn in China, but I'm very happy to keep my paws on American soil, thank you furry much.

wags, Lola

houndstooth said...

There are lots of things that people eat in other places that I have no desire to be a part of!

♥I am Holly♥ said...

I'm certainly glad I'm not in China. I would never eat anything.
Lots of love, Debbie and Holly

Unknown said...

I completely agree with what Houndstooth said. Sorry Houndstooth, I borrow your words without getting your permission.

Jake of Florida said...

Sickening. It;'s one thing to know about it in a kind of abstract way -- but to read the menu? Sickening.

Jake and Just Harry

Stephanie said...

I honestly don't think this is so bad. I'm sure people in other countries think we're nuts for eating cows. It's all truly relative. I don't think it is right for you to critize the Chinese for eating dog meat unless you are a vegetarian yourself. Although I personally wouldn't want a taste of ANYTHING on this menu, it is unfair for you to call their culture 'unethical'. You are clearly very biased on this topic and really have no right to comment.

JacksDad said...

On the contrary, you have EVERY right to comment as you see fit!

Golden Samantha said...

Mom has tears in her eyes and is furry sad to read this disgusting news. She's more mad now, especially after reading the comments (esp. Lola's) and joins yourses Momma in her opening commentary. Grotesque to even think about.

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

They had eaten dawgs for 100's of years. They should stick to RATS!!

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Commie bastards~!~!

3 doxies said...

This is your blog so you have every right to post what you want. That being said China is suppose to be a civilized country...how is this civilized? I know this is a practise of theirs, loooong ago but this is 2010.
And, eating dog is not limited to just the astros. I read an article not too long ago how the chinese gov't wants the restuarants to take dog off menus or the Bejing Olympics so they won't offend tourists...sorry, I'm lready offended.
Stephanie, go back to where you came from.
Puddles

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I'm a lady, so I won't bother to say what I'm really thinking--But I think we're all on the same page...

On the flipside, I do hope your week is off to a good start!!

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Obviously that Stephanie lady is heartless.
She does not know what its like to love a dog.
I imagine any dog would be wise enough to not go near her.
This is your blog and it is for us who love dogs- not eat them
Thats what I think

Stephanie said...

I apologize JackDaddy, I should have worded my post a little more carefully. Of course everyone has the RIGHT to post, however they have little background knowledge or perspective so it therefore holds no ground as far as I am concerned.I appreciate you pointing that out as it was taken wrong by more than one person. I truly love dogs and would not personally eat them, however it is necessary to consider other perspectives. For example, many religious groups from India and elsewhere worship cows and would never dream of eating them! They probably say things about how uncivilized other cultures are for eating cattle. I'm not saying that no one should eat meat or that I hate dogs, however it is wrong to judge other cultures without also judging yourself. I'm sure many of you would feel STRONGLY if the Chinese spoke badly about you for eating beef or pork. The menu also mentions fish as a meal item however I haven't seen one post discussing how terrible it is to kill fish. Has no one here ever loved a fish? Saying that it is okay to eat cows but not dogs is like Hitler saying it is okay to kill Jews and homosexuals, but allow blonde-haired, blue-eyed individuals to live. It is stereotypical and most of the people who have commented have been blinded by their own customs, cultures, traditions, and belief system. I have nothing against anyone who has an opinion different from my own, however I don't appreciate rude or nasty comments. I am only offering a different perspective on an article feel is a bit biased. If anyone has any questions or would like a further explanation I would be more than happy to share--in a polite, adult manner!

Scout and Freyja said...

I always find it interesting when people who have an opposing view hide behind with anonymity or a name with no link.

Please don't use my blog for your debate. If you seek others to debate about this issue I suggest that you post here your email addy or identify yourself by other means.

Many times in my life I have held an opposing or unpopular view about an issue and each time I have left a comment I have left my identity there, as well.

I find those views that are veiled with hidden ownership to be less than interesting or credible.